So how did pasta end up in Italy? Well, when the Ancient Romans conquered the Ancient Greeks in 146 BC, they were introduced to laganon, which, as Italian Garden notes, they immediately took a liking to. The Romans took pasta back home and created a primitive version of lasagna with it, called lasagne patina.
alt, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and black pepper.
these are the ingredients you'll need to add to your grocery list:
· Meat: This super meaty lasagna has sweet Italian sausage [ i use finely sliced pepperoni and lean ground beef.
· Onion and garlic: An onion and two cloves of garlic are cooked with the meat to add tons of flavor.
· Tomato products: You'll need a can of crushed tomatoes, two cans of tomato sauce, and two cans of tomato paste.
· Sugar: Two tablespoons of white sugar a
· Spices and seasonings: This lasagna recipe is flavored with fresh parsley, Fennel seeds , oregano and basil leaves,
· Lasagna noodles: Use store-bought or homemade lasagna noodles.
· Cheeses: Parmesan, mozzarella, and ricotta cheese make this lasagna extra decadent.
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
¾ pound lean ground beef
½ cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
2 (6.5 ounces) cans of canned tomato sauce
2 (6-ounce) cans of tomato paste
½ cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
1 ½ teaspoons dried basil leaves
1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided, or to taste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
12 lasagna noodles
16 ounces of ricotta cheese
¾ pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cook sausage or pepperoni, ground beef, onion, and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. Season with sugar, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and pepper. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, occasionally.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, spray foil with cooking spray or ensure the foil does not touch the cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes. Rest lasagna for 15 minutes before serving.